If a new employee has a current P45 from a previous employment, the employee should give their employer parts 2 and 3 of this P45. The employer must then notify HMRC online that the new employee has started with them by submitting Part3 of the P45 online to the HMRC.
NB. Before submitting a P45 Part 3 please ensure that you have filled in your HMRC online filing information beforehand under ‘Employer > HMRC Online Filing’. When attempting to send your P45 Part 3 to HMRC the submission will fail if this information is missing.
Once your new employee has been set up in ‘Employees’, to submit the P45 Part 3:
1) Click P45 Part 3 icon on the Employee menu
2) On the next screen, select the option:
“Send a P45 Part 3”
3) Confirm your Employee Details - if you have not already entered all of your employee’s details, these can be completed here. When you are happy to proceed click on Next.
4) Employee’s Previous Employment – if not already entered, complete these details using the P45 copy provided to you by the employee
5) Amounts from Previous Employment – these details are only required if the employee’s tax code is cumulative
6) Click Next. You are now ready to send the P46 to HMRC. If you are happy to continue select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Are you sure you want to continue?’ then click Start on the next screen to begin the online submission.