NOTE: You are viewing documentation for a previous tax year version of BrightPay. Click here
to view the documentation for the current 2023/24 tax year version.
Year End - Frequently Asked Questions
To assist users in completing the 2021-22 tax year and transitioning to tax year 2022-23, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below.
a) What steps do I need to complete to finalise the 2021-22 tax year?
- Please click here to access our simple step-by-step guide for completing the 2021-22 year end process in BrightPay.
b) How do I issue P60s to employees?
- The P60 option is located within the Employees menu
- Select an employee who is in active employment as at 5th April from the left hand listing
- Click P60 on the menu bar and simply select the P60 option you require
c) How do I notify HMRC that the last RTI submission is my final submission for the tax year?
- Within the RTI menu in 2021-22 BrightPay, select 'RTI > New > Employer Payment Summary'
- Where you have recoverable amounts, tick this box and select 'tax month 12' or 'tax quarter 4'
- Tick the Final Submission indicator and click OK to generate the EPS
- Submit to HMRC
d) Do I have a week 53 in the 2021-22 tax year?
- Only if an employer pays employees on a Tuesday and the last pay date of the 2021-22 tax year is Tuesday 5th April 2022.
e) When will 22-23 BrightPay be available?
- 22-23 BrightPay is scheduled for release week commencing 21st March 2022.
f) Is it ok to import my data into 2022-23 BrightPay before my payroll is finished for the 2021-22 tax year?
- We advise waiting until your payroll is fully completed for the current tax year before importing into the new tax year version. This will ensure the most accurate and up-to-date information is being imported from the previous tax year.
g) Why is 2022-23 BrightPay downloading as a 60-day free trial - I have already purchased a licence?
- BrightPay will initially download as a 60-day free trial (with full functionality). On purchasing a 2022-23 licence, you will have received a licence key on the invoice that was emailed to you. Simply select 'Upgrade Licence' on the 'Open Company' screen of your 2022-23 BrightPay software and enter and activate your licence key here. Your software will no longer show as a free trial and instead will indicate your purchased licence type.
h) How do I install 22-23 BrightPay for the new tax year?
- Every tax year we release brand new software in line with the new budgetary requirements. Thus, to move your payroll on to a new tax year, simply download the new tax year version of BrightPay that is available on our website here.
- Once downloaded, this will install separately to your previous year’s software and you will see a new BrightPay icon appear on your desktop. You can still access the information for the previous tax year in 2021-22 BrightPay.
i) How do I import my data from 2021-22 BrightPay into 2022-23 BrightPay for the new tax year?
- First, check the location of where your 2021-22 employer data file is saved to - you can do this by hovering your mouse over the employer name on your 'Open Employer' screen in 2021-22 BrightPay and making a note of the location that will appear.
- Next, on the 'Open Company' screen in 2022-23 BrightPay, select Import Employer(s) > Import BrightPay 2021-22 file(s)
- Browse to the location of your 2021-22 employer data file and double click on the file name to commence the import.
- Your employer and employee details will now be imported into 2022-23 BrightPay and your employer name will be added to your 2022-23 Open Company screen.
Please note: if the employer file is password protected, the password will be the same as the previous year.
j) Do I need to send a new Employer Payment Summary to HMRC to claim the Employment Allowance?
- Yes. Since 6th April 2020, Employment Allowance does not auto renew for an employer as it did in previous tax years.
- An employer now has to submit an Employer Payment Summary to HMRC every tax year to notify HMRC that they will be claiming the Employment Allowance.
- Once this EPS is sent to HMRC, the employer can then enable the Employment Allowance in the first tax period within the 'HMRC Payments' utility in BrightPay.
- Please note: HMRC must also be notified via an Employer Payment Summary if you are no longer eligible for the Employment Allowance.
- Further guidance on operating the Employment Allowance in BrightPay is available here .
k) How do I sign into Connect for the new tax year?
- Please select the 'Connect' tab on your 2022-23 BrightPay 'Open Company' screen and sign into your Connect account using your Connect username and password.
l) Why do I receive HMRC error 6010 when I try to submit a P11D(b) for the 2021-22 tax year?
- HMRC will only accept a P11D(b) for the 2021-22 tax year from 6th April 2022. If trying to submit before this date, error number 6010 will be returned from HMRC into BrightPay.
- HMRC are currently accepting a P11D(b) for the tax year 2020-21 up until 5th April 2022.