Starting the new tax year - FAQs
To assist users in transitioning to tax year 2023-24, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below.
a) Is it ok to import my data into 2023-24 BrightPay before my payroll is finished for the 2022-23 tax year?
- We advise waiting until your payroll is fully completed for the current tax year before importing into the new tax year version. This will ensure the most accurate and up-to-date information is being imported from the previous tax year.
b) Why is 2023-24 BrightPay downloading as a 60-day free trial - I have already purchased a licence?
- BrightPay will initially download as a 60-day free trial (with full functionality). On purchasing a 2023-24 licence, you will have received a licence key on the invoice that was emailed to you. Simply select 'Upgrade Licence' on the 'Open Company' screen of your 2023-24 BrightPay software and enter and activate your licence key here. Your software will no longer show as a free trial and instead will indicate your purchased licence type.
c) How do I install 23-24 BrightPay for the new tax year?
- Every tax year we release brand new software in line with the new budgetary requirements. Thus, to move your payroll on to a new tax year, simply download the new tax year version of BrightPay that is available on our website here.
- Once downloaded, this will install separately to your previous year’s software and you will see a new BrightPay icon appear on your desktop. You can still access the information for the previous tax year in 2022-23 BrightPay.
d) How do I import my data from 2022-23 BrightPay into 2023-24 BrightPay for the new tax year?
- First, check the location of where your 2022-23 employer data file is saved to - you can do this by hovering your mouse over the employer name on your 'Open Employer' screen in 2022-23 BrightPay and making a note of the location that will appear.
- Next, on the 'Open Company' screen in 2023-24 BrightPay, select Import Employer(s) > Import BrightPay 2022-23 file(s)
- Browse to the location of your 2022-23 employer data file and double click on the file name to commence the import.
- Your employer and employee details will now be imported into 2023-24 BrightPay and your employer name will be added to your 2023-24 Open Company screen.
Please note: if the employer file is password protected, the password will be the same as the previous year.
e) Do I need to send a new Employer Payment Summary to HMRC to claim the Employment Allowance?
- Yes. Since 6th April 2020, Employment Allowance does not auto renew for an employer as it did in previous tax years.
- An employer now has to submit an Employer Payment Summary to HMRC every tax year to notify HMRC that they will be claiming the Employment Allowance.
- Once this EPS is sent to HMRC, the employer can then enable the Employment Allowance in the first tax period within the 'HMRC Payments' utility in BrightPay.
- Please note: HMRC must also be notified via an Employer Payment Summary if you are no longer eligible for the Employment Allowance.
- Further guidance on operating the Employment Allowance in BrightPay is available here.
f) How do I sign into Connect for the new tax year?
- Please select the 'Connect' tab on your 2023-24 BrightPay 'Open Company' screen and sign into your Connect account using your Connect username and password.